a signal to the world

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
linne

a signal to the world

Post by linne »

I wrote in an earlier topic:
To choose Obama send an important signal to the rest of the world telling that even though you are "half black" and even though your father is from Africa you can be the president of USA. That's how a free country functions.

I still mean that!

Have a nice election day! I'm so exited to wake up tomorrow and hear about the result.

Linne
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I am crossing my fingers that we all vote in a civilized manner.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
loria

Post by loria »

i got back from the polls an hour ago (at 6:15)--they opened at 6--it was already crowded!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Linne, I woke up at 6:30 a.m. EXCITED to vote today! I was there at 7:15. There was a 10 minute line (usually, I just breeze in and out). I had a BIG smile on my face as I pushed the 'vote' button. Looking forward to the final results tonight! Thank you as always for your perspective.
NancyB
DELETED

Re: a signal to the world

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mia

Post by mia »

linne,

With all due respect, why do you feel that it is important for my country to send a "signal" to the rest of the world? We happen to be the most free and generous country in the world. To vote for Obama because he is black, merely to prove something to other nations is beyond ridiculous.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Linne -

We have sent 200 years worth of 'signals' to the world. We have freed and defended more people than any other nation in the history of this world - all without asking for a thing in return. In fact, in many cases we have spent our tax dollars to rebuild those nations that we spent our blood and treasure defending (marshall plan).

We are the greatest nation in the history of this world, and today I couldn't be more proud to be an American. Not because we are on the doorstep of electing a black man president. No, it's because no matter who wins today, we will have a peaceful transfer of power in January.

We are the world's standard bearer.

Yes, you may call me "the arrogant" American now if you choose. I have thought nearly everyday how fortunate I was to be born in this great place called America. If that's arrogant, then that's what I'll be - I prefer 'Patriotic'.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

mia wrote:linne,

With all due respect, why do you feel that it is important for my country to send a "signal" to the rest of the world? We happen to be the most free and generous country in the world. To vote for Obama because he is black, merely to prove something to other nations is beyond ridiculous.
Don't be obtuse. I don't think that she is suggesting that people vote for him because he is black. The point is that, given this country's poor history in race relations, an Obama victory could be an historic event. And I agree with her...that is a positive message to the rest of the world.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

I gotta be honest Pete...I'm tired of the "given our poor record on race relations"...C'mon man. Race relations in this WORLD have been abhorrent. We need look no further than our beloved St. John under Dutch rule to know that.

There are countries who employed slaves for thousands of years, in one form or another. It only took us 100-150 years to outlaw the practice (thanks to Lincoln). Of course, even that is too long.

Have minorities gotten screwed alot in this country? Absolutely. But lets not act as if this was a USA problem - it was a world problem.

Electing a black president simply because he is black does nothing for me. Like SJ said, it is about where he has gone and what he has done. We know where Obama has gone - still can't find much that he has done.

It's a sad state when even Tom Brokaw says three days before the election that he has no idea what Obama's world view is.

Too bad 'ole Tom didn't have a chance to say, moderate a debate or anything. :roll:
mia

Post by mia »

Pete wrote:

Don't be obtuse. I don't think that she is suggesting that people vote for him because he is black. The point is that, given this country's poor history in race relations, an Obama victory could be an historic event. And I agree with her...that is a positive message to the rest of the world.

I see....we should vote for Obama because of our poor history in race relations and because his victory could be an historic event? Now those are really valid reasons. LOL

I am out of here....I don't have the slightest amount of interest in your reasons anymore than you have any interest in mine.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

soxfan22 wrote:Yes, you may call me "the arrogant" American now if you choose. I have thought nearly everyday how fortunate I was to be born in this great place called America. If that's arrogant, then that's what I'll be - I prefer 'Patriotic'.
Talking to yourself now, are you? You say you "prefer Patriotic", but you are the one who called yourself arrogant in the first sentence! Sometimes you just make no sense at all!
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Okay CG. whatever you say. Let me bow in your presence.

Had you been reading Linne's posts, there were a couple of instances throughout the weeks when she mentioned that often times Europeans look at Americans as "arrogant". That is what I was referring to.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Yes, she said some Americans are arrogant. You put your own self in that category. It was just an observation Soxiekins! So sensitive! :roll:
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Mia, I am not saying that one should vote for him because his is black. But, if he should win it, indeed, would be an historic event.

Sox...the civil rights act is only 44 years old. Our history of equality is not as old as you portray it to be.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED