Earthquake?

Travel discussion for St. John
bert

Post by bert »

Had just started the morning and heard and felt a locomotive coming up the driveway, then watched the swimming pool shake... the water didn't quite splash out. It was definitely the largest quake we have felt here! We kept looking for a tidal wave but none appeared! At least our cistern didn't crack!

peace.... bert
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

I knew the area was volcanic, but somehow I thought that the activity was in the past. Like extinct volcanos. Guess I didn't really think too hard about that, seeing as how it wasn't that many years ago that the volcano blew in the Lesser Antilles.
:oops:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

... and consider Montserrat.

http://www.mvo.ms/
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

Thank you! I couldn't remember the name of the island...
:D
StJohnRon

Secret about stjohnruth

Post by StJohnRon »

Ruth is really afraid of earthquakes. I thought I was going to have to chase her up the road this morning. We were having coffee and I heard it first and then felt it and said OH-CRAP here goes Ruth. I was really surprised when she didn't run out of the house, We kinda just stared at each other for a while (10-15sec.) and said this is a big long one. WHEN DO WE HIDE? It lasted about 50sec and then calmed down. Then the table started shaking and I got a little nervous until I realized it was Ruth shaking the table not the quake. WOW, were we surprised when we got to the store.
see ya
- Ron
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Ron! Awesome :)

(ron=awesome, not the earthquake!)
hugo

Post by hugo »

For the benefit of all those expressing surprise--We are on a fault line here, and there are constant small quakes that no-one feels. Once or twice a year there's a quake that is discernible by most people. The last serious quake (really the only one in the historical record that did extensive damage), was in 1867, as Ron in St. Thomas mentioned. It was under-sea between St. Thomas and St. Croix and did cause a very destructive tsunami on the south shore of St. Thomas (including Charlotte Amalie) and the North Shore of St. Croix. There was considerable loss of life, what with the big ships tossed ashore. To compound matters, the islands had experienced a very serious hurricane three weeks previously. The combined effects of the hurricane and earthquake are credited with putting the final nail in the coffin of plantation agriculture on St. John--and delayed the US purchase of St. Thomas and St. John by 50 years.Negotiators were meeting when the earthquake struck, working out an agreement that would have left St. Croix in Danish hands while the other two islands were ceded to the US. Not surprisingly, the US thought it might not go over too well with the public.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Great facts, as always, Hugo.
Everything is fine here, folks. Our damaged inventory amounts to five bottles of hot sauce, one martini glass and a candle holder. They just kind of jiggled off the shelf. Nothing went flying across the room or anything.
We're East-Coasters, we tend to over-react to earthquakes. (Especially me, but I guess that little secret is out now.)
-Ruth
danoinvt

Quake

Post by danoinvt »

Pretty much like everyone has stated. I was at work at the Home Depot on St. Thomas and heard a sound like a semi was headed for the door. The the shaking started and I was up and headed for the door--with an expletive or two. I've been here 3 years and it was the strongest and longest shake I've felt... and many who have been here much longer agree it was a biggie. But no visible damage--just a significant fright! Kind-of reassuring to know that our quakes are generally mild.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

too funny. my husband and i are here right now and unfortunately experienced the earthquake as well. we walked into st. john spice today to grab some hot sauce. well I grabbed a bottle and the two were stuck together by the sticker and one came crashing down to the floor. sorry ruth!@ but bought 3 bottles to make up for it. ha-ha.but that earthquake was messed up! woke up during our stay at the westin and the entire bed was shaking for about 20 seconds. my husband woke up and I said "its probably an earthquake". we looked at each other and then looked out the window and everything was okay. pretty freaky!! kind of a one time experience. but its our 5th time here so its bound to happen. everything is great here. kind of quiet because of the economy which i assume but thats okay with us! we have most of the island to enjoy with ourselves and our friends. will write a trip report when we return!
danoinvt

quake

Post by danoinvt »

Hmmm... didn't feel too funny for a minute or so!

As for things being slow, it's mostly because it's October--I hope :? --season picks up next month.
sherban

on Google Earth maps...

Post by sherban »

Google Earth has a layer that shows earthquake locations with info on each...

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Re: Secret about stjohnruth

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

StJohnRon wrote:Ruth is really afraid of earthquakes. I thought I was going to have to chase her up the road this morning. We were having coffee and I heard it first and then felt it and said OH-CRAP here goes Ruth. I was really surprised when she didn't run out of the house, We kinda just stared at each other for a while (10-15sec.) and said this is a big long one. WHEN DO WE HIDE? It lasted about 50sec and then calmed down. Then the table started shaking and I got a little nervous until I realized it was Ruth shaking the table not the quake. WOW, were we surprised when we got to the store.
see ya
- Ron
WHOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO! Ron, you finally posted. And, a fine first post at that.

Much love to you guys.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
California Girl

Re: Quake

Post by California Girl »

danoinvt wrote:I've been here 3 years and it was the strongest and longest shake I've felt... and many who have been here much longer agree it was a biggie.
6.1 is significant! I've lived my whole life in So. Cal. and I've felt a few earthquakes. We start seeing it on the news and saying "did you feel that?" to each other at about 5.0.

Ron! Did the earthquake shake you out of lurkdom? Great to see you post, dude! :lol:

Hugo - Thanks for the history lesson. You rock, as always. :D
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I agree with Marcia and CaliforniaGirl that it took Ron and earthquake to come out of lurkdom!!!

Loved hearing the story Ron!

Sherban - thanks for the pic - that's crazy that there were so many quakes!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band