Returning in 2009?

Travel discussion for St. John
gizmolady

Returning in 2009?

Post by gizmolady »

Haven't been to STJ in about 7 years (yeah, I know!) but we are thinking about planning a wedding anniversary trip with close friends. (Our 30th; their 25th). Question is -- will we still love it? Has a lot changed? Has it become too busy/touristy? We are thinking of trying to rent the same villa we had in 2002 -- hope it;'s available (will check).

Last time we traveled, I had a HORRIBLE time at security @ JFK, even though I don't think I fit any profiles, I was subjected to a very humiliating search & questioning and don't want to repeat THAT.

Can you all bring me up to date? Travel dollars are really tight nowadays and I don't want to make a mistake. (This would be our third trip to STJ and I really want to return and share it with our friends.)

Thanks,
gizmolady
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Hi there!
We will be returing to STJ next year. Third time in six years. We were married on Trunk Bay in 03, went back in 07 with our then five year old and going back in 09. I loved it as much as I did the first time. The beaches are still beautiful, great restaurants and bars and I feel safe with our daughter. I don't think you'll regret spending the money...
gizmolady

Post by gizmolady »

Thanks for the encouragement!

The villa we stayed at last time had two bedrooms -- one had a king bed and the other had twins. Hubby says it wouldn't be fair to our friends to HOG the king bed. I told him we could always switch bedrooms half-way thru the visit (even though I THIN the twin beds convert into a king!)

We stayed at a villa near (but not at) Chocolate Hole that had a nice little pool, a great view, a great kitchen (which I hear has been updated) and was close to town.

Of course, I'd always be up for recommendations since it's been so long since we've been there. I'm open to locations, as long as it's kind of close to water -- even though it doesn't have to be beachfront because we've rented a vehicle both times so we could visit our favorite spots / beaches.

Our trip would be in early June (I think June 6-13).
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

Hi. I'm no expert on this forum - as many have been to STJ much more that we have - but I say DEFINITELY GO!!! We first visited in 1998 (before kids), returned in 2007 (with kids ages 2 & 5) and we are headed back in March 2009 (with kids now 4 & 7)!! There were some things that had changed in the nine year gap, but the feel of the island and the beauty of the land, foliage, water, marine life, friendly people and general "away from the resst of the world" atmosphere was still there. Our boys are hooked now, too - they chose STJ over Disney! I hope you get your trip booked soon and have a wonderful time! :D