The Official OT cocktail thread

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

The Official OT cocktail thread

Post by liamsaunt »

OK, we have a food thread, now how about a cocktail thread? Not the kind of foofy fruity slushy drinks we all like on St. John...I am thinking of more sophisticated, elegant recipes.

You know we all have cabinets bursting with duty-free liquor. I've got stuff from my honeymoon 10 years ago that hasn't even been opened! Let's post some ways to use it up!

I personally am looking for any recipes that do not include rum. John's allergic to rum, and I am always looking for new drink ideas without it. (Of course, do post your rum recipes for everyone else!!). Super bonus points for pictures! Also, non-alcoholic cocktail recipes are defintely welcome.

Here's my first offering:

RED LION

2 ounces Grand Marnier
1 ounce gin
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 or 4 ice cubes
Twist lemon peel

Combine everything but the lemon in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with lemon peel.

Next? :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

yum! cocktails!

Did you ever have a Scarlett O'hara? We had them in NOLA on a pub tour and they were yummy. I made them for Christmas that year. We always have a "drink of the day" at family gahtering. Always Whiskey Sours on Christmas Eve. It was my father's staple for many a year on Christmas Eve so we keep it going.
Anyway,
The S O'H is Southern Comfort and cranbery juice. I think it is equal parts but I need to google it to be sure.
mia

Post by mia »

CARRIE'S MARGARITA

Rinse Margarita glasses & put in freeer.

Pour into cocktail shaker:
2 shots Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila
1 shot Triple Sec (cheaper brand works best)
1 shot Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice
1 cup ice
Makes one...double for two
Shake

Take frosted glasses out of freezer, rub fresh lime around rim, and dip rim in kosher salt. Garnish with lime slice.

Strain Margarita into glass and ENJOY!
Last edited by mia on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
RickG

Post by RickG »

My most dangerous cocktail is a chilled bottle of Limoncello and a small glass. Take the bottle away from me when I start slurring.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

This thread could be dangerous, especially if I decide to "just have a little one" around noon or so. :D I'm going to put my margarita glass in the freezer right now.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I just stopped at the liquor store to pick up a few things for our trip to VT this weekend and what luck! They were having a wine tasting. I highly recommend Spellbound Old Vine Zinfandel. It is very light on the front and crazy peppery and spicy on the back.

Cocktails? Hmmmm, I love me a good cocktail. This weekend I will be drinking Smirnoff Triple Distilled Lime Vodka with diet tonic and a splash of Newman's Virgin Limeade.
I also picked up a bottle of Dill infused vodka and I am going to make some sort of bloody mary with it. I am thinking instread of celery, I cut use a cucumber spear.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Mia, that drink sounds amazing! Sis (the tequila fan) will be here for Christmas and i think she will really love it! Thanks for the receipe. :D
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

RickG, I've never tried limoncello! That's one to add to the list.

Tonight I am making a cocktail I saw Bobby Flay make on the Food Network..it's called a Lillet Cocktail. Of course, I have no idea what Lillet is, so if I get to the liquor store and it looks or sounds gross, I'll be making something else!

Here is a fun and easy idea for a party...

raspberry champage cocktail

2 pints raspberries
1-2 tbsp. sugar
1 bottle champagne

Cook raspberries with sugar until the berries break down. Strain through a food mill to remove the seeds, and pour the remaining liquid into ice cube trays. Freeze until solid.

Pour champagne into glasses and place one cube in each glass.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

RickG wrote:My most dangerous cocktail is a chilled bottle of Limoncello and a small glass. Take the bottle away from me when I start slurring.

Cheers, RickG
Are you friends with Danny Devito? ;)
mia

Post by mia »

Although I'm somewhat of a martini purist...this is a good recipe for the holidays because of its festive red color.

Oprah's Pomegranate Martini
Recipe courtesy of Oprah Winfrey

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS
• 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
• 2 oz. Absolute Citron vodka OR white tequila
• 1 oz. Cointreau liquor
• Cup of ice
• Optional: Splash of sparkling water
• Optional: Squeeze of lemon

Shake ingredients in a shaker and put in chilled martini glasses. Put pomegranate fruit into glass as garnish.
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
Chet

Post by Chet »

We like to keep it simple...

Default Anytime Cocktail:
• Cruzan Blackstrap rum and Vanilla Coke in a TALL plastic glass with a generous squeeze of lime

Favorite Blender Drink: Mango Colada
• White rum
• Dark rum
• Coco Lopez
• Orange-Pineapple juice
• 1 mango, peeled and cubed
• Blend with ice until smooth
• Top with fresh ground nutmeg
(Fruit, umbrella, and rum floater optional)
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

mbw1024 wrote:
RickG wrote:My most dangerous cocktail is a chilled bottle of Limoncello and a small glass. Take the bottle away from me when I start slurring.

Cheers, RickG
Are you friends with Danny Devito? ;)
He could be friends with me - I have a bottle of Limoncello that we picked up in Positano chilling - when I'm feeling adventurous, I add some Absolut Citron for a mean Limoncello Martini.

There are many variations, but this is nice and easy:

1/2 ounce Limoncello
1 1/2 ounces Absolut Citron
shake with ice, pour into a martini glass and garnish with lemon peel.

Becky - just about any bar in the North End will have Limoncello for you; Joe Tecce's makes a great martini.
janet
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

What is your favorite painkiller recipe? :)
Last edited by pjayer on Thu May 08, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Grape vodka and lemonade.

It tastes just like a sweetart.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Cheers, RickG
Hey Rick,

I have a bottle of that stuff in my frige that my boss brought me back from Italy a couple months ago. I never opened it because I didn't know if I was suppose to mix it or drink it straight :shock: Why don't you and Christine come visit and we'll crack it open!

XOXO
Bug