A shark question

Travel discussion for St. John
California Girl

A shark question

Post by California Girl »

Recently there have been a few reports of "baby" sharks in Cruz Bay and elsewhere. I know everyone's saying "but they're BABIES" and may be feeding them, and wading with them, etc. But what happens when these "babies" grow into adults? You KNOW that's going to happen, there's no other alternative. Will they be unafraid of people because everyone thought they were so cute when they were little? Will sharks then become a problem? I'm not afraid, I'm just saying.....
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

At what point to baby sharks leave their momma? Im thinking she must be in Cruz bay as well...but I could be wrong. I dont think its a good idea to feed the wildlife, they need to learn how to hunt for themselves.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

We saw a baby Black Tip while having a drink at the Beach Bar. Nobody was feeding the little guy, but a lot of people were on the beach taking pictures of it. The locals said they did not know why the baby shark was there, maybe got lost or something. It was more a curiosity than a danger. Mostly people just ignored it.

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

kirk

Post by kirk »

Ksea wrote:At what point to baby sharks leave their momma? Im thinking she must be in Cruz bay as well...but I could be wrong. I dont think its a good idea to feed the wildlife, they need to learn how to hunt for themselves.
Sharks lay eggs, momma is long gone.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

:oops: oops!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Maybe some of you didn't see this on On-St. John?:

"There’s a little more entertainment in front of the Beach Bar than usual these days. Three baby black tip sharks have been swimming around and feeding in the waters by Noah’s Little Arks. In ankle-deep water. The biggest one is about two feet long, and according to Wade at Noah’s, it has grown quite quickly. Wade is crazy. He says he’s been feeding them raw shrimp. Brave, for a man who spends most of his day standing in that ankle-deep water. Dude, that’s cute when they’re two feet long. But when they grow up, they’re gonna remember you and those ankles will look like big, tanned, hairy shrimp!"

And who was it who posted recently about seeing baby sharks at Reef Bay or Chocolate Hole or someplace?? I've been searching for that post, but can't find it.
IA Joe

Post by IA Joe »

We saw 2 or 3 of the sharks when we were in Cruz Bay on Tuesday, and we saw several more when we were at Magen's Bay on Wednesday. The Magen's Bay sharks ranged from the same size as the one's we saw in Cruz Bay down to 15" or so. Many more in Magen's Bay than in Cruz Bay.

Must be that time of year.

Joe
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I'm trying to ignore this topic, but it's really hard. :shock: I'll be there 5 weeks from Tues. How much do they grow in 5 weeks?? Is there some kind of shark mace? :lol:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Jorge, I almost needed sheet music to figure out where the heck you were going with that. Must have had too much wine last night.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We saw the same sharks in Cruz Bay and also saw the same type along Caneel Bay beach. My daughter took my underwater camera and put it down in the water and got a great shot that makes it look like a large shark. I will post the picture in my trip report.
Someone at the Beach Bar told us that they had just hatched and they would go out deeper to sea when they got larger. Maybe they are hanging around because they are being fed by people.
My son loved looking for them every evening.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Here is the shot of the shark my daughter took off Caneel.

cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Can I take a spear gun in my carry on?? :lol:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED