Elysium and Over the Rainbow villas

Travel discussion for St. John
jofus

Elysium and Over the Rainbow villas

Post by jofus »

Hi All,
Planning a trip for my 50th Bday next Oct. Theses 2 villas are on "my list" thus far. Looking for comments, opinions, impressions,suggestions etc about these 2 places. Open to suggestions for others in the Fish Bay/ Choc Hole neighborhoods, looking to stay in the $2000/week range. Been to STJ 7 times, 5 in villas in Coral Bay or beyond and 2 stays at the Cinn Bay campgrounds so I want to try out a new neighborhood this time around. Soooo looking forward to this....haven't been since 2012!

jofus
theoverman

Re: Elysium and Over the Rainbow villas

Post by theoverman »

hey jofus, for what it's worth we stayed at over the rainbow on our first trip around 1999...i dragged the wife and 2 little kids on an adventure to st. john and on the ride over to the villa i thought i had made a big mistake. the nightime drive over to reef/fish bay was treacherous as the potholes were half the size of the jeep. i assume they have repaired that. the house is very nice sitting on the ridge above those 2 bays. the living room wall facing the down island view completely collapses into the wall for a good 16 ft opening to the pool. nice pool area with the only drawback was the telephone poles and lines messing with the view. the villa also has a separate sweet master bedroom with a huge outdoor shower looking down on fish bay. that was my room since i snore like a freight train. there are some cool secret trails down to reef bay which you can pretty much have all to yourself. nice spot and a bit out of the way, but loved it and came back to stj 7 more times, and now can't wait for #9 this march. good luck in your decision. oman.
soon pleased to be chillin' in the west indies

jofus

Post by jofus »

Thank you oman!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My assessment is the same as oman's. We stayed at Over the Rainbow for our first time on St John for our honeymoon. The trip to Reef Bay became dirt road after Fish Bay and it was rough. That is no longer the case. The down island views were great. The telephone poles and lines looking out from the pool deck were distracting but the views to the two bays were nice. I also like the shower in the master. Since then, the furthest we've gone is Fish Bay and we're typically in the Chocolate Hole or Klein Bay areas. It's all good though.