Anyone been to Alaska?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Backtotheislands

Anyone been to Alaska?

Post by Backtotheislands »

I am 100% a beach and water, warm weather and snorkeling girl. I lived in Alaska as a girl in the 60s and never thought I wanted to go back. Now I am thinking I might want to plan a cruise or a land vacation up there because of the great beauty, nature, and wildlife. I remember the drive from Anchorage to Seward and it was breathtaking and I know Seattle is. Anyway, my big concern is that I will be too cold to enjoy it! Winters in Dallas are nothing, especially this year, but I live for the warm days to sit in the sun. Any other total beach/warm weather lovers been to Alaska and did you enjoy it or wish you were someplace tropical most of the time? My husband told me to plan a trip . . . Not to St. John, which would be my pick. :( I was also considering the Gulf of Cortez to Isla Espiritu Santos glamping, but I think he doesn't want the beach at all this time. Thank you for your feedback!
philbetm

Re: Anyone been to Alaska?

Post by philbetm »

We also are STJ , warm weather and water people. However, we did a cruise to Alaska once the first week of June. It was pretty chilly out on the decks when cruising...I mean winter clothes kind of chilly and that was with a lot of sunshine !
But completely different when in ports off the ship. Then you could wear short sleeves and shorts if you chose too.
The advantage of going that early gave us the opportunity too see all the new Grizzly Moms and cubs coming down to the banks to drink and feed. As well as a lot of other new animal babies making their first treks for spring. Whales were abundant and amazingly beautiful, very active. We went on a whale watching tour
with The Purple Orca ....arranged ourselves instead of with the cruise ship. They were excellent ! One excursion not to miss is the ...not sure if I am naming this correctly...White Pass Railroad trip. Will make you hold your breath and maybe close your eyes for a minute, but SUPER AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL !!

Good luck with your choice ! We are talking about going back there next year. But, for this year it's Back to our favorite place in the world ...STJ !

Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Backtotheislands

My husband doesn't think St. John is his favorite place, unfortunately, because I know it is mine! Thank you for your reply! Which port was Purple Orca out of?
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. Sickness has prevailed in my home !
It was out of Juneau .
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Backtotheislands

Thanks, Phil! I think we have decided to put this off a year and if we have plenty of time we will do a cruise and then Alaska on our own, if not we will just do Alaska on our own by land. Hubby is even saying maybe we will drive from Texas. I traveled the Alcan Highway 4 times as a kid. The last time I was 11 and there were 3 other little girls 5, 4, and 6 weeks with just my mom because her mom was having emergency surgery in Arkansas. I was chief babysitter and navigator in the car! :shock: