Vendor's Plaza location

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
michigancouple

Vendor's Plaza location

Post by michigancouple »

I know there is a Vendor's Plaza with the local vendors near downtown CA, but last year when we were there we saw an area more near Havensite that was under construction. We were told that Vendor's Plaza would also be locating there. The area looked a little more structured, kind of like a flea market set up with covered awnings. Does anyone know if that is open now and what it is like. It seems like it was a short distance from the Havensite shops, which would mean no taxi/drive to downtown?
kma27

Re: Vendor's Plaza location

Post by kma27 »

Nancy, you are correct. There is a such a place there at Havensight. We passed it several times but never stopped to take a look since we are always in a car. There weren't many vendors set up last year but maybe because it's new. It's like right across from Wendy's there.
RockyDockWI

Post by RockyDockWI »

The developer of the Virgin Marley Market couldn't make it profitable, so on February 1, 2013 the entire market place was dismantled. Went by last week and workers were removing all the electrical hookups. The bare concrete pads are all that remain.

A couple years ago I took a Caribbean Cruise and at one port of call I noticed the T-Shirts with the wording "Same $hit, different island". So true, so true.
Rocky Dock
Water Island
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Thanks RockyDock. I agree that we do see a lot of the same stuff. I do like buying larimar pendants at the Vendors Plaza though. We usually get some really good prices.
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

You can stop by there the weekend of March 14th and see a huge car sale there under one of my tents!! Guess someone will be making use of the pads.
I found it pretty weird. Looked like cages for animals waiting to be slaughtered.
RL 8)
Poohwear

Post by Poohwear »

Honestly, I hated the look of it...sorry for the owners but the Vendors Market in town is so colorful that I always wander in there at some point during my stay, usually I allow myself one "Town" day to wander about, soak up the shops color, have lunch at Cuzzin's etc. I thought that new area looked like a bunch of lockers...I'll be on island for 6 weeks this Spring so I have lots planned.
Poohwear