Tonight's House Hunters International Features St John

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Re: Tonight's House Hunters International Features St John

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I just watched this and we both were confused by a shot towards the end, right after they said they were not buying the Coral Bay house...there is a shot of a long wide beach and three branching roads with no houses anywhere around that we did not recognize at all. It actually looks like Tortola to us (?) I paused our dvr and it is at 27 minutes in.

I did not know you could live year round at Grande Bay either. I hope they are enjoying their purchase of the Gifft Hill house. The comments on the "busy road" had us laughing. Compared to where we live, Gifft Hill Road is a pastoral country lane!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

It's so funny Liamsaunt we paused it at the same spot - definitely not St John - it actually looks like one of the islands I visited on a cruise where a couple had drowned the week before Les and I went swimming on the same (rough) beach - I think St Kitts but not 100%

The show was so full of "interesting" shots - a few being the shot at the beginning that has them on Hawksnest Beach (STJ) and the caption reads St Thomas USVI, followed by showing them in their bedroom and outside on a little balcony at their "home/condo" on St Thomas and clearly (imo) is a Grande Bay unit unless there is an identical property on STT but it looks exactly like Grande Bay which we have, as Realtors, shown many times.

The fun part was at the end when they were discussing that if they purchased Grande Bay he could walk to work - well yes you work downstairs in their timeshare sales office :)

There are 2 other episodes that have been filmed due to be shown (I believe) in February 2013 - it will be interesting to see those.

Pia
Last edited by Pia on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realtor - St John Properties
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I saw that Hawksnest shot too. Bad editing or just sloppy?
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I really liked the shot of the monkey... And the handsome young man riding a horse through the water!

Where can I find those on St. John??

It made me laugh!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
AboutToGoCoastal

Post by AboutToGoCoastal »

I think the shot at 27 minutes may be of St. Kitts. That was my first thought when I saw it and when I ran it back that was my wife's guess too.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I noticed everything mentioned above but somehow missed the monkey??

Another thing that wasn't mentioned in the episode about the Grande Bay unit was the HOA fees. I think Tracy posted that they're around $2000 a month? The 1 bedroom apartment was already 25K over their budget, and most of us don't have $2000 extra in pocket change for HOA fees.

I came to terms a long time ago with the show being fairly fake, but to make basic mistakes like showing the same beach shot with two different island names and a shot of an entirely different island outside of the VIs is just sloppy.

Does anybody know what the homeowner does for a living? Pia are you saying he works for Grande Bay?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes he works for Grande Bay selling timeshares and before that at the now bankrupt Pond Bay

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
jmq

Post by jmq »

He is a timeshare salesperson? Personality-wise, I never would have guessed that, but I suppose the way they produce, stage, shoot, and edit these shows they can make anyone seem quiet, talkative, worrisome, or anything in between LOL.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think HGTV needs to be told that their use of video from other islands is misleading to folks that may be looking to visit. Monkeys? that is just silly
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Tracy in WI wrote:I really liked the shot of the monkey... And the handsome young man riding a horse through the water!

Where can I find those on St. John??

It made me laugh!
I thought the same thing! I absolutely love monkeys but I may just fall over and die if I ever came across one in St. John. I've seen plenty in Costa Rica and Belize, but in St. John??? Definitely not.
Jenn, News of St. John
kirk

Post by kirk »

I guess next you'll tell me the Easter Bunny isn't real? :( A quick google search confirms what Pia said. I knew i had seen these people at the BB alot. I didn't get the whole "We can't rent because of the dog" thing. while there are rentals that don't allow pets,I know of many more that do. where do you think all these dogs live? trust me, 99% of the dogs you see being walked live in rentals.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Kirk - I wondered the same thing about the dogs because from what I read on the web (forums, newspaper, etc.) and what I see on the island, it seems like nearly everyone has a dog or two. And it isn't like the houses have carpet to worry about!
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

kirk wrote:
I knew i had seen these people at the BB alot.
I'm surprised since the storm surge at the BB must get pretty dangerous during the frequent STJ hurricanes! It must be the generator that keeps them coming back... :lol:
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

I've been loving this thread, because I noticed many of those things as well, and the monkey too! I couldn't believe they showed a monkey! I looked at my husband, and I said "since when are there monkeys on St. John?" And I want to ride a horse in the water like that young gentleman did! The only authentic thing was the goats and donkeys walking up the road! lol!
Tami
Image[/url]
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

I know we have monkeys down in the western part of St Thomas. Doubt St John. That shot of the roads and brown beach did not look familiar. Closest thing would also be the Botany Bay area, but not.
RL 8)