Renting car in St Thomas

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
Kwise

Renting car in St Thomas

Post by Kwise »

I've read through a lot of the existing posts on this forum, but still can't decide based on our circumstances: Should we rent a car in St. Thomas?

We are staying at Sugar Bay, doing the all inclusive. Thus, we do not HAVE to leave the property. But we want to: we want to take a day trip to St Johns, we want to try a bunch of beaches on St Thomas, and we want to drive around the island and sight-see on St Thomas.

The major issue is that we have 2 young kids. If we rely on taxis, we will have to constantly be installing our car seats into taxis and taking them out. So if we want to go to Magen's beach, for ex, we take a taxi there, then take out our car seats, and then we have the car seats with us at the beach - what a pain. And based on the nature of the cabs on St John (i.e., impossible to use car seat for baby/kids), I think we have to rent our own car to get there..

But lots of the forums on this discussion advise people to not rent a car - it's hard driving on left hand side, people drive crazy, we're doing an all-inclusive anyway. So should we just rely on taxis? Help!!
Kwise

Post by Kwise »

And I should clarify one more thing. We will probably only use the rental car 2 out of 6 days in STT (1 day in STJ, 1 day touring around STT). So most of the time it will sit in the garage at Sugar Bay. Well, we'll also need it to and from the airport.

But that is enough for me, given the car seats, to want to rent a car rather than use taxis. But my husband feels differently. So I'd appreciate any advice from you all. Thanks so much - only 10 days til we come to paradise!!!!
loria

Post by loria »

if you can afford it, why not-- i think you will find that you use it more often than just the two days!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I bet you'll use it more, as well. If you can afford it, do it. It'll give you so much more flexibility! Driving on STT or STJ is no big deal....take it from the world's MOST nervous back seat driver.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

If you can afford it, do it, it gives you more flexibility to just get up and go, it is not hard to get use to driving on the left, there are not to many places you can reach 30 mph anyway, just be careful on the roads on the north side, not much of a shoulder. Also, don't let someone tailgating you intimidate you, this has happened to us quite often. Magen's Bay is a nice protected beach area for young kids, have fun!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

A rental car will be such an advantage - AI at Sugar Bay may not keep you as resort bound as you imagine - people do not 'drive crazy' overall - if you feel tailgated just put your arm out the window and wave them by - not kidding! - visit Lindqvist Beach[Smith Bay Park] - Brewers Bay - the kids will love it! -- Magens, then Udder Delight for kid and Adult ice cream sodas!
I would guess using taxis will cost you more than a rental car overall and the freedom will give you a huge difference in choices that will be quite likely used more than you currently think will happen, with considerably less hassle --- right from the get go at the airport.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Plus, you can rent car seats from certain car rental agencies. First one is free and second is is $25 in my experience. That way, you can leave your car seats at home.
Driving is not that crazy on the left- easy to get used to.
Tickerless :(
devgolfs

Re: Renting car in St Thomas

Post by devgolfs »

I am curious what you ended up doing?
We are also staying at Sugar Bay in October. My understanding is that there is a rental desk at the resort ( I think through Avis), and am wondering whether that is a better option, or to look for one of the other places available?

Devin