First time to St Thomas, family trip, questions!

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
firsttimetousvi

First time to St Thomas, family trip, questions!

Post by firsttimetousvi »

We are taking our first trip to St Thomas in May! We're very excited but have a few questions.
We will be traveling with our three kids, all 8 and under.
Is Sappphire Beach Resort a good place to stay? We are looking on VRBO. Is blding E a good location in Sapphire beach resort? I think we found one we like. Are the grounds run down, I have read mixed reviews online. Normally we stay at upscale hotel/resorts - but we wanted to do something different this time.
What about the noseeums - are they worse at a particular time of the day? I have a son with VERY sensitive skin and allergies. Should we bring bug spray? Are they worse at end of May? I have a friend who just returned from USVI and her kids received tons of bites and had to go to Dr's for the bites/swelling. Are they really that bad? They did stay in St John...so maybe they are worse there?
Is there a lot of cruise ship traffic at end of May, and is a particular day worse?
Thanks for info!
Last edited by firsttimetousvi on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
firsttimetousvi

Another question -

do we need a jeep or similar rental vehicle, or is a car fine?
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Hi there!

Sapphire is a great place to stay. I'm a bit bias as my family owns a unit though;). Building E is the last building on the rocky beach/pool side. You will have great views of St.John and the marina boats going in and out. You are doing it right by renting on VRBO. This will ensure that you are staying in the unit you want. The common buildings on the grounds have been in litigation for a few years and have not been used hence they are run down. But, the grounds themselves are incredibly upkept and beautiful. The beach is first class and the pool area is great as it's right on the beach! There is a food pavilion between buildings B & C called Banana Cabana which serves great burgers, salads, sandwiches, and drinks. As far as the noseeums go, if you have a 3rd floor unit, I would not worry so much because you'll have a good breeze to deter them away. But bring spray just in case they are bad and for when you travel to other places that they may be at. There will still be a good amount of cruise ships coming in during May. You can get a schedule on vinow.com. Usually Tuesdays there can be 5 ships in port. On those days plan to be at the pool, which is only for SBR guests! It really doesn't get too crowded at SBR. As far as a car goes, on STT you don't need to have a jeep, but for the amount of people you have in your party with luggage, I would definitly rent a van or suv! Hope this helps!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I think Sapphire is a good place for a family - and definitely rent something to get around being out there on the east end or you will spend a fortune in taxis.

We also have the cruise schedules posted on this site :)

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/c ... ules.shtml

I have eaten there as STTlover mentions and I remember it being pretty good. You also have a lot of options in Red Hook and around for food, including Marina Market. Have a great trip -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

All the buildings have good views. Generally the higher you are in the building the better the view.
The D and E buildings beach is unswimable so I prefer the A, B, or C buildings so that you are on the part of the beach where you will spend you time. It is also nice to be close to your condo to run back and forth for lunch, cold drinks and bathroom breaks
firsttimetousvi

What do you mean the beach is unswimmable? how far will we have to walk to swim with our kids?

Thanks!
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

What they mean is that building E is on the rocky entrance side of the beach which is a reef and makes for a difficult swim on that side. Sapphire beach runs along the bay and around a corner. The sandy bay side entrance is just around the corner from pool/rocky entrance side. You just have to walk around the corner to the front of Buildings A,B,C to the sandy side:) Take a look at this areal view of SBR you'll see what we mean. Building E is the building at the top right of the pic. You can see toward the bottom of the pic the sandy entrance.
http://www.antillesresorts.com/2sapphirebeach.htm

(Disclaimer: I don't recommend renting through Antilles, rent through VRBO.)
firsttimetousvi

Okay, that makes sense! Thank you!

What restaurants do you recommend for:

1. Family restuarant with fun environment

2. More upscale restaurant that would still be suitable to bring kids too.

Is Sally and Craigs good? We want at least one $$$$ meal.

Do they sell liquor / beer in grocery stores? or is there a liquor store you'd recommend?

How far is the grocery store and is there one you recommend?
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

firsttimetousvi wrote:Okay, that makes sense! Thank you!

There is nothing wrong with the E building it is just that many people find it more convienient to have their condo right on the part of the beach where they spend all there time.

What restaurants do you recommend for:

1. Family restuarant with fun environment

Molly Malone's, BigBambooze, Iggy's

2. More upscale restaurant that would still be suitable to bring kids too.

Most all of the restaurants are kid friendly. Right now the top restaurant is arguably The Old Stone Farmhouse, but also good high end are: Room With A View, Havanna Blue, Coco Blue, Sunset Grill, and Oceana

Sally and Craigs is very good.

Do they sell liquor / beer in grocery stores? or is there a liquor store you'd recommend?

Yes and it is usually cheaper there than in the liquor stores.

How far is the grocery store and is there one you recommend?
The closest are Food Center and Marina Market, but a little further away in the Tutu Mall is Plaza Extra and that is a better option IMHO.

Just a FYI but the web site you were refered to is under Antilles, but they are no longer on the island. The rental agent is ERM and many of the nicest units are in their program, but you can't pick and choose the way you do on vrbo.
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Yes I'm aware that Antilles is no longer there. ERM still uses that sight for booking as well as their own. The layman wouldn't know the difference, so I just referred to it as Antilles. Although, don't rent through ERM in general, rent through VRBO. You will be renting directly from the owner and are guaranteed the room you see is the room you get.
kimberlysea

Post by kimberlysea »

1. Family restuarant with fun environment MOLLY MALONES

2. More upscale restaurant that would still be suitable to bring kids too. ROOM WITH A VIEW

NOT SURE...NEVER BEEN THERE
Do they sell liquor / beer in grocery stores? or is there a liquor store you'd recommend? YES

How far is the grocery store and is there one you recommend? WE ALWAYS GO TO THE FOOD CENTER-MARINA MARKET FOR THINGS WE RUN OUT OF,,,JUST BECAUSE IT'S CLOSER