Barbecue place across from car wash

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
mindehankins

Barbecue place across from car wash

Post by mindehankins »

I read that there's a terrific barbecue stand across the street from the car wash, that's open on Saturdays. Can you give me some more information such as where to park, what to order, what the hours are. Do they accept cash only? Can you sit and eat there?
Would love more information since I've been stewin on this one for a year ;)
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Where's the car wash?? :lol:
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

The car wash is next door to McDonald's or very close, anyway. Let me go look it up. It was someone here that said "too bad I didn't know you were going to be there on a Saturday, cause there's a fantastic bbq there."

I'll be back with some intel :)
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I saw the other post 1st and answered - the hours ?? 10am - 4pm ?? somewhere in that range - I have never had anything I wouldn't order again - the brisket and lamb are outstanding - parking is straightforward - by the laundromat and dry cleaner building on the East side of the road - probably cash only?? I have only ordered take out.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks, ExitZero! I'd just bumped this up cause someone asked where the car wash is. Looking forward to this :)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

What sides do they offer, Exit Zero? We're definitely going to hit this up! Is service pretty slow, meaning one of us should wait there, and the other one make a run for groceries, or is it pretty quick?
Thanks! We appreciate your help!
sherban

Post by sherban »

There are several Texas BBQ shacks on STT...I have the one in Redhook on my map....don't know where the others are...

http://g.co/maps/qvvwa
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The truck across from the big Kmart is Not a Texas Pit operation - Texas Pit does have a fine reputation and excellent food though - a facility in Sub-base across from Nisky Center - a food truck on the waterfront most evenings and a small outlet in the Red Hook Plaza - somewhat more traditional and commercial in a way than the Lechon Truck.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Exit Zero,
Home run! Thank you! We fought through mega Carnival traffic and got there at 2:30. At first the lady said they were out of all meats, but the man put together plenty for the two of us, chicken, lamb and brisket. We tried to wait til we got "home," but gave in on the ferry. Yum!
New must-do, when we're on St Thomas on a Saturday!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Glad you were able to sample the wares - Carnival traffic?? Don't see why it would be different than any Sat. afternoon - but that is just STT on a local shopping day in TuTu I guess. The Lechon truck on Sat. is truly a STT treasure and I am just eating mine now - note the time!
gelopee

Post by gelopee »

Mindehankins, all the questions you asked in your initial post.....can you supply answers to them?

Thanks.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Lechon truck in Tutu, on the opposite side of the road from McDonalds and the car wash on Saturdays only. Hours maybe 10am-4pm, but at 2:30 they were almost sold out. We don't know St Thomas but we found it. The sign said they had brisket, lamb, and chicken, but again, we had no choice cause he was almost sold out. VERY good smoked type meat, not sauce type. About $16/ meal, served with seasoned rice and some sort of onion stew I've never seen before but liked!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Saturdays only - but really I have never had anything I did not eat to the last crumb. The aroma wafting about alone would convince the least hungry person to stop!
Glad Mindehawkins!! after all your Q's were able to experience the cuisine.
ms411

Post by ms411 »

Barbecue is a misleading description, IMO. The food truck you're referring to is the Lechon, which is roasted meat Latin style. I was expecting bbq when I first went, and missed the sweetness of bbq.

There are several bbq trucks that are open every day and have good food. The guys at the Lechon truck were crushed when I told them I preferred Texas Pit.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
gelopee

Post by gelopee »

Thanks for the details, Mindehankins, and thanks for the further description of the difference between the two cuisines, ms411.