snorkeling STX - compared to STJ

Travel discussion for St. Croix
Linward

snorkeling STX - compared to STJ

Post by Linward »

We LOVE STJ, but want to try something different this year and are considering STX.

While on vacation, we like to spend all our days snorkeling, and our evenings limin on our villa deck -reading and enjoying a beautiful water view.

For those of you who have been to both STJ and STX, how do you feel the snorkeling compares between the two?
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
linne

Post by linne »

We have visited both STT,STX and STJ.
The best snorkel experience we had, was on our trip to Buck Island on STX, but you have to sail to come there. STJ have the most beauitiful beaches after our opinion. But we still think that STX was a nice and interesting place and liked to be there.

Linne
khud

Post by khud »

We have snorkeled both STJ and STX and found both to be great. If you're looking for some variety and different underwater seascapes, then you'll find them on STX. Out at Buck Island, it was deeper water with tunnels and cubby holes and bigger fish. The deserted beach on the other end was magical. (Caribbean Sea Adventures-Wave Dancer-3.5 hrs.-$130 for 2)On the west end, Dorsh Beach had some awesome shallow snorkeling. We were only there for 4 days and didn't get to explore the north or east side, but look forward to doing so next spring, especially along The Wall off Cane Bay. We really enjoyed the differences to the other VI's.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Years ago, my family took a day sail w/ Big Beard's Adventure Tours to Buck Island.

The first half was OK, although I had seen similar sea life before at STJ.

But when the cat went out over to the reef, it was something else. Big cudas, but even more impressive lobsters. Those bugs were HUGE! (Reminded me of some alien sci-fi movie.)

Overall, a very enjoyable day. (Ironically, my wife & I told each other at the time than we could see our young daughter being 1st mate of that kind of trip. Well, she eventually did in STT.)