Moving to STX with a dog

Travel discussion for St. Croix
TropicalGirl

Moving to STX with a dog

Post by TropicalGirl »

We will be moving to beatiful St. Croix in June (So very excited!!!!). I have a 14 year old mini poodle who may not do well flying since she is too tall to fit under the seat in the cabin. Does anybody have ideas for other options to get her to STX either with us or a month after we move and get settled? Thanks very much.
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

I am not sure exactly how big a mini poodle is but have you actually tried putting her in a soft sided carrier just to try it out? We brought a puppy home with us from Puerto Rico in January. We got a soft sided carrier from Kmart and were able to take it on the plane under the seat. Our puppy was about 14 pounds at the time. It was a little tight when she stood up but she slept or sat down most of the trip, so that wasn't a problem. The pet carrier had a zipper top that I could open up during the flight and was able to pet and comfort her when needed. If your dog can't fit in one of the small carriers, I think she will have to go in a bigger rigid carrier and checked in with baggage.
akersten

Post by akersten »

The man next to me on the plane said he had to watch his daughter's dog at his home in Florida last year. They had to wait until the weather got cooler and the dog was then allowed to travel to St Croix. Our friends had a similar experience with their cat when they moved to St Croix.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Sorry I don't really have any other options for travel BUT some things I learned while shipping my dog.

The airlines all have rules regarding the temperature at the location of take off and landing.

Some airlines have climate control even if the pup needs to be in stowage make sure you ask.

How is the overall health of the dog? I believe you may need authorization from a veterinarian to fly, mine did last June.

Good luck with your move
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

I luv DOGS..... if u can get it safely, are yo in a dog friendly place?