Driving to Red Hook from the airport

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
mindehankins

Driving to Red Hook from the airport

Post by mindehankins »

I guess I should post this question on this forum...it won't be my first STT question, I'm sure!

We're renting our Jeep from Amalie on STT. My question is about stopping at a store enroute to Red Hook.

It looks like Food Center is right on our way. If we decided to stop at Cost U Less instead, or K Mart, it looks on Google Earth like there's a road that goes from KMart South to the road to Red Hook. Is that a real road? Is it pretty easy driving? It'll be our first time driving on St. Thomas, and I'm a nervous rider. I do fine on St. John cause we're going so slow, but there's more traffic on St. Thomas, so I thought I should ask.

Not everything that shows up on Google Earth as a road...is actually a road, in the islands :)

Thanks for your hlep!
augie

Post by augie »

We've gone to Red Hook on both routes - the one that takes you by the Food Center, as well as the one that takes you by Cost-U-Less.

To us there's not a lot of difference, we've even started out on one route and took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on the other one. As long as you're heading east, you're OK.

Ask the people you rent your car from to highlight the map they give you with your preferred route.

STT is a little busier, but take your time and you'll be fine.
Come see us!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks, Augie! I've been studying Google Earth based on Pia's directions, and think I have the directions committed to memory. Glad to know we won't need to backtrack if we go to Cost U Less!
Connie

Post by Connie »

I think your best bet is to go to the Food Center. It's really not far from Red Hook. Also, if you have the time, a quick to Marina Market (right across from the ferry) is a good idea. They have great lunch meat and sandwiches.

All the times that we've been to STT, we've never stopped at Cosco. We just want to get to Red Hook and be done with it.

Once you get out of Charlotte Amalie, you'll be fine. One person is the driver, one is the navigator :o)
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

The driver has a very special name he uses for the navigator :evil:

We bring a cooler with meats and cheeses. Will be looking for breads, milk, eggs, booze and whatever catches our eye. Oh, And SODA! LOTS of Diet Coke, which was over $4.00 a bottle, last trip, on St. John!
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Ditto what Connie said. Food Center will suit your needs. They have everything at great prices. Marina Market is great too, but they tend to run out of essentials quickly(bread,milk etc.) and are a bit more pricey.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks! We will probably be getting to know STT this trip, because of renting the Jeep on STT, and because we don't have lodging yet for the last two days!
We'll know soon, if Cruz Views can add on two days...otherwise we'll be looking on STT :)
Reading these threads with interest...
Connie

Post by Connie »

Minde, don't worry about those 2 days.

Guess what happened to us, or me. I really thought that we were coming on 6/3...when husband started checking everything out...the car...the flights...we're coming in on 6/2!!

I quick call where we're staying (on Sapphire) and thank god that 6/2 was open.

If not we're were just going to stay at the Crystal Place with Ron. It's suppose to be a nice place to stay and Ron is a great guy, so keep that in mind.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'm not worrying, thought that is my modus operandi. If we can't stay on at Cruz Views, we'll see that as a sign from the powers that be, that we need to get to know STT!
I've looked at several properties... Am hoping for Emerald Beach, but we'll see....