Our trip report--Days 5-7(You asked for it, you got it) :)

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
austinill

Our trip report--Days 5-7(You asked for it, you got it) :)

Post by austinill »

The more time I spend on STT, the more I fall in love. 99% of the people are extremely friendly and willing to help whether you ask for directions, advice on restaurants or where to spend time. Not once have we felt in any danger although I admit we are not late night party people. We have had most of our suppers in our villa and spent the night there, so we just don’t venture out into areas that may cause more concern.

The Seventh Heaven Villa is truly becoming more and more a “home” to us. We feel so relaxed and serene at this location 990 feet above the sea. Watching cruise ships come and go from Havensight; the big yachts at Yacht Haven Garde; and sail boats traipsing about is a special treat for us. Thanks to Lisa, McLaughlin-Anderson and Wimco (Steve B.) for helping us select this treasure.

One regret I truly have is not making it to see Anna at Toad and Tart on the east side. I really wanted to get there but our schedule took some changes that didn’t allow it. I guess I will just have to come back in the near future, right, Anna? I will truly consider it because she is such a great advisor on some of these forums.

To further enhance our relaxing vacation, we asked the concierge of McLaughlin (Angela) to arrange for a massage at our villa. Within a very short period of time, Melissa of Spa To Go called and arranged to come to our villa that morning. Two hours later, wife and I each had a wonderful, relaxing medium-tissue massage. Melissa was not only good at her profession, she was a great conversationalist and a wealth of information regarding the island.

We had a shopping day Saturday, the best day to go downtown because of parking issues. Had a great conversation with Suresh at Artistic and his associate, Cindy. Suresh has great quality jewelry and I swear, could sell sun tan lotion to a caveman, but I had to say no to his offerings. He gave a great deal, but I couldn’t afford to take advantage of his offering this time. Maybe next time.
We did buy a piece of jewelry from Michael at Cordow’s and bought a piece for wife at Havensight store. We did not appreciate the “hawkers” who worked outside some of the downtown alley stores who tried to “Pressure” us inside. Those type of stores do NOT need nor deserve my business. Thanks, but NO THANKS.

We had lunch at Molly Malone’s, Cruzzin’s and Delly Deck. All offer good food at prices above the states norm. But this is STT, so we get used to it. I must say that one irony is having the same waitress at Cruzzin’s one day and at Delly Deck the next. Thanks Katrina. Of these three, Molly Malone’s is our favorite. We had chicken fried chicken and it was fantastic. Onion rings are to die for. Well worth the trip.

Had an ice cream shake from Udder Delight one day and loved the taste. Very busy place. Spent a morning at Magans Bay and loved it. It is truly a delight despite the whistle-happy Gestapo lifeguards on duty. Sapphire Beach was also very nice, especially when you get away from the skycam and food stand area and walk to the end where it is more quiet and peaceful. We’re not big on crowded areas. Met the manager of GreenHouse restaurant at sapphire and he invited us to happy hour. We might make that tonight for appetizers and dessert.

Went to Mass at Holy Family near Tutu Park Mall at 10 Sunday morn. It was a very enthusiastic crowd that wanted to celebrate life and their beliefs. Father gave a great sermon and songs were aplenty. Mass lasted over 1.5 hours, but it didn’t seem like it. We loved the open air feeling at this service, especially since it is still winter.

Anita from McLaughlin-Anderson just called to see if there was anything we needed or any concerns we had regarding the villa. I find them to be wonderfully attentive and love their friendly nature and concerns. I cannot recommend them enough for a villa rental agency.

I guess that’s all for now. I will finish this on our flight home or when we get home. If you have any questions about anything I have talked about, I will be happy to address them. But I can’t emphasize enough just reading these forums and gather as much info as you can about this wonderful island. There are great experts on these sites and I highly suggest using them.

:D :D :D
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Thanks for the Report.
Molly Malone's is one of our favorites also.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Thanks for your trip reports. They are so fun to read!!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
VIlanders

Post by VIlanders »

Thanks for your report and so glad you had a great time.

Your villa sounded wonderful and hope you will be returning soon to Paradise.
Coden

Post by Coden »

It all sounds so great...which we were there with ya!! :D
Coden
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Sounds like a fabulous time and I know you'll be back, right?!! :wink: I also enjoy a visit or two to Cuzzin's, Udder Delight and AYH.

Thanks again for sharing. This next visit will be my first try at driving, as my husband ALWAYS does it. Look out!! Think what worries me the most is a few of the inclines heading out of CA :shock:

58 more days ...
onislandtime

Post by onislandtime »

Great trip report, reading about the places you've visited put a smile on my face, our November trip is so far off.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

KathyZ - Most of the rental cars are underpowered and going up the inclines leading out of town usually is a fairly slow and manageable trip -- coming down these hills is another matter -- use low gear -- don't overheat the brakes and be very cautious on the blind curves -- if you hear a long truck horn be aware that it is coming around the corner ahead of you.

2 taps of your horn means Thank You
Any vehicle ahead of you can come to a complete stop for no apparent reason
Passengers will commonly open their side door without looking back
More cars have no working brake lights then you would expect
If some one uses their turn signal it will be an anomaly
Many taxi vans take their half of the road in the middle out in the country so the van doesn't get scratched by bush on the side of the road
Drive defensively and expect ANY thing from the car ahead or behind you.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks for your informative report! I enjoyed it very much!

Exit Zero, I love your defensive driving list! :lol:
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Thanks for all the reporting -- Seventh Heaven is maybe the most undiscovered perfect One Bedroom private villa on STT - the view would keep me amazed day and night - the owners are the best - enjoying dinner there watching the sunset beats any restaurant food for sure.