A shark question

Travel discussion for St. John
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

That was actually funny!! Have a great day and I hope you keep posting. I knew you were trying to be informative. Sorry I misbehaved.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I've snorkeled a lot at Maho, Jumbie, & Francis and have never seen a shark. Also dove at Haulover and saw no sharks. My hubby goes out much further and explores much more than I do and has seen 2 what he thought were nurse sharks in all of our trips.

I saw a baracuda that made me snort seawater and head for the shore at Trunk. Also, saw a dolphin that was seemingly playing with tourists at Francis that sent me back to the beach.

Chances are she's not going to see one.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Hardonyou
I apologize if my post was perceived as an attack, it certainly wasn't meant as one. once again I'm sorry.
As to the puppies, i love cats, i just can't seem to finish a whole one by myself. :D
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Kirk......That is so bad. We just got a new "rescue" kitten. He's so tiny you could probably eat 2 of him. :lol:

We've had it over a week and could not think of a name and finally last night we decided to name it Bandit. Littlecypress was reading the forum and it just came to her.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Cypressgirl, I go thru a 22lb bag of cat food a week. i was up to about 25 at one time, all outdoor cats. i'm down to about 5-6 right now but i'm hearing some kittens crying under the back deck. i live in a old farmhouse surrounded by 200 acres. every stray and feral cat in the area finds me.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

My 2 cats and 2 dogs are all inside animals. My vaccuum stays plugged in.

Usually it's the "cat lady" that makes the local news with her heard of cats. Seldom is it a guy. Cool!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

LandLockedBeachLover wrote:OK my daughter (9 yo) who frieks about everything anyway was in tears last night just talking about the prospect of seeing a shark (albiet a small, harmless, non-aggressive one) at all. What beaches in STJ DO NOT have these lovely creatures present, or at least the odds are much less??
Honestly, tell her not to worry. Sharks are so rare on St. John. It is highly unlikely that she will see one. The babies will go out to sea when they get bigger. The only other time I saw a shark was at Salt Pond, and it was just a nurse shark, and I was out much further than your daughter would be.

I will say though, that we saw rays in very shallow water this trip. One at Trunk was directly off shore, so close to the beach that the lifeguard was there to keep people from bothering it or stepping on it. At Caneel I swam over a four foot wide ray that was nesting in the sand, in about 3-4 feet of water. I did not see it until I was on top of it, and it freaked me out a little bit.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
MrB

Post by MrB »

Has anyone ever thought about what would happen if one of those 2 foot Parrotfish took a nip at you? Those beaks look deadly!! And if you ever heard them crunching coral!!!!

LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Thanks Liamsaunt! Knowing how many times (and for how long each time!) you've been to STJ, this makes me feel much better. I will tell her not to worry...although she is irrational in her own worries :x .

Now, I won't even talk to her about stingrays, barracudas or the TEETH on those parrotfish :shock:
GraysonDave

Re: A shark question

Post by GraysonDave »

Gotta be a record. Fifteen years later for that response!

:lol:
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: A shark question

Post by Anthony »

Lol hard to believe right?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line