Avis car rental

Travel discussion for St. John
tothectothec

Avis car rental

Post by tothectothec »

Has anyone had experience lately with Avis car rental? Is the rental office at the airport or do you have to take a taxi somewhere to pick up your car how does it work
Ed S

Re: Avis car rental

Post by Ed S »

We had rented with Avis for several years (while staying on both St Thomas & St John). They are located at the airport. When my wife and I wanted to start renting 2 door jeeps, and at that time Avis only had 4 door jeeps, so we switched to Amalie Car Rental. We will never rent from anyone but Amalie ever again. Amy and her team are awesome, jeeps all brand new, and although they technically aren't located right at the airport, it couldn't be easier. They meet you (with your name illuminated on an iPad) right after you get your free rum shot, whisk you steps away to where the jeep is parked at Emerald Beach Resort, one signature and you are on your way. Since we check luggage, I leave my wife at baggage claim to grab our bags and I'm usually back before she even makes it to the curb.
No charge for 2nd driver (although my wife has never driven), a contact on St John in case of issues (which there aren't since their jeeps are brand new), and they aren't anal about sand in the jeep or taking it to the Lameshur's.
https://www.amaliecar.com/
Image[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've not had any problems with Avis. I usually book the cheapest vehicle they have and end up with a Ford Explorer.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

We have already rented a dodge caravan from Avis. I thought we would be picking it up at the airport but it says pick up is by the holiday inn near ferry dock and I can’t get them on the phone to find out if this is correct. Just wondered if anyone else had to go to Holiday inn to pick up car.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

I wasn't aware there was a Holiday Inn on St Thomas. Is Winward Passage a Holiday Inn??? Did you reserve on the right island? (sorry, but I had to ask :D ). Maybe they don't keep their larger vehicles onsite? I thought Avis had a location across from Havensight (near where Al Cohen's was), but that's no where near the ferry dock.
Image[/url]
tothectothec

Post by tothectothec »

This is what it says on conformation email:

Seaborne (across frm D/T Holiday Inn),T5S
3400 Veterans Drive, (Downtown next to ferry docks)
Saint Thomas, 00820 CV
(1) 340-690-4935
Sun - Sat 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

So apparently it is an Avis location on St Thomas (in addition to STT and Havensight). Did you maybe accidentally reserve there vs. STT (airport), which maybe some people do if they are coming in on a sea plane? I doubt you will get an answer by calling the local 340# (I've never had any luck trying to reach Avis locally). Maybe you can't reserve your larger vehicle at STT. Maybe try to start a new reservation and see what happens. Or call the Avis 800#. Good luck! No way would I want to travel from the airport to the ferry dock to pick up my rental :(
See Avis locations below...
https://www.avis.com/en/locations/cv/saint-thomas
Image[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

The Seabourne location is across from the Windward Passage, long ago a former Holiday Inn. They have an Avis satellite there and I have dropped of cars there with a convenience fee. If you're flying into STT, you may want to rethink your approach.

Regards, Rick
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI